Faculty Director: Paul Gianutsos, M.D., M.P.H.
The Addiction Medicine Track is designed to provide motivated residents opportunities to:
- Learn the natural history, diagnosis and treatment of substance use disorders
- Work in our acute detoxification center, inpatient treatment facility for pregnant women and in the local methadone maintenance center and
- Learn about the social and economic costs of addiction disorders
- Understand the history of drug addiction in the United States
- Learn harm reduction techniques
- Understand the fetal effects of prenatal substance use
- Work with chemically dependent pregnant women in the ob outreach clinic and on our inpatient unit
- Work and learn from core Family Medicine faculty certified in Addiction Medicine
- Be a resource for your community
Residents will complete two electives in Addiction Medicine, attend a national conference and develop a presentation on a selected topic.